WHITE BEAN POSOLE VERDE
- Large Pot
- sauce pan
- Spatula or Large Spoon
- 2 poblano peppers
- 3 ⁄4 pound tomatillos outer husk removed
- 1-2 jalapeños depending on preferred heat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic about 2 tablespoons, minced
- 1 ⁄2 medium white or yellow onion diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1, 15 oz. can white or butter beans rinsed + drained
- 1, 15 oz. can hominy or yellow corn drained
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- Ripe avocado cubed
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Pomegranate seeds
- Thinly sliced radish
- Heat oven to high broil and position rack at top of oven.
- Place whole poblano peppers, tomatillos, and jalapeño(s) on baking sheet. Once oven is hot, broil on high until charred on top side. Then flip over and continue broiling until the other side is blackened. (The tomatillos will likely take longer, so remove peppers from oven once charred and continue roasting tomatillos until blackened on top and bottom.)
- While peppers are roasting, heat large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add oil, garlic, and onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until soft and
- translucent and slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add to blender (or leave in pot if using emersion blender)
- Remove charred peppers and tomatillos from oven and wrap peppers in foil to steam.
- Wait 3 minutes, then remove skin, core, and seeds from poblano and jalapeños and any stems from the tomatillos.
- Add to a blender with garlic and onion. Blend/purée until semi-fine consistency is achieved. A little chunkiness is OK and even good depending on texture preference.
- Add mixture back to pot over medium heat. Add vegetable broth, beans, and corn/hominy and stir.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat to low and continuing simmering until beans have absorbed flavor of the broth—at least 15 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful it will become!
- Sample and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve plain or with desired toppings.
Roasted tomatillos, jalapeños, and poblano peppers create a rich base with a beautiful green hue, while white beans add buttery texture, protein, and fiber!
Serving: 4Calories: 360kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 3gFat: 28gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 3770mgPotassium: 465mgFiber: 4gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 2884IUVitamin C: 195mgCalcium: 46mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!