LENTIL SHEPHERD’S PIE
- Aluminum Foil
- Steamer or Pot
- Large Pan
- Small bowl
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked lentils rinsed or 1, 19 oz. can of lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 small-medium red potatoes unpeeled, cut in half
- 1 small head garlic cut in half
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 oz. cremini or white button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and diced
- 8 oz. red wine divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons broth or milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 35-40 minutes adding water as needed to keep covered. Drain when tender and set aside.
- Wrap the garlic halves in foil and place on a rack in the oven that is preheating. Roast for about 30 minutes until tender when pierced with a knife. Set aside.
- Place the halved potatoes in a steamer or a pot of water and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, pour off the water and put them back into the same pan. Using 1/2 head of garlic or more, depending on your preference. Squeeze the roasted garlic from their skins into the pan. Add non-dairy milk to the potatoes and mash by hand or use a hand-held mixer. Add more milk as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the lentils and potatoes are cooking, add 2 oz. of the red wine to a large pan and sauté the onion, minced garlic, and carrots for a couple of minutes over medium heat. Add mushrooms and season with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until all is tender.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and sauté for a few minutes to bring out its flavor. Then add the Worcestershire sauce and remaining 6 oz. wine (or vegetable broth) and stir to combine.
- Add the lentils to the sautéed onion, along with the carrots, mushrooms, and peas. Stir.
- Combine flour and a splash of broth or water in a small bowl and whisk to remove any lumps. Pour into the pan with lentil mixture, combine, and cook until thickened a little.
- Pour the lentil mixture into a baking dish, smoothing the top. Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20-30 min. or until bubbling and potatoes are slightly browned.
Lentils are a great source of protein, PLUS potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin, folate, and iron.
Serving: 6Calories: 46kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 413mgPotassium: 152mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 255IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 13mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!