KALE MACARONI & CHEESE
- sauce pan
- Cheese Grater
- 1/2 stick 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 pound dry macaroni
- ½ pound cheddar cheese grated
- 1 bunch fresh Tuscan kale approx. 8 ounces, stems stripped, leaves rinsed and cut into ribbons crosswise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over moderate heat. Once the butter has melted and the foam has subsided, add flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, heavy cream, dry mustard and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook until just wilted. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni in a 6- to 7-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl. Combine the macaroni, cream sauce, cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.