SAUTEED RADISHES & THEIR GREENS
- Sauté Pan
- Stirring Spoon
- 1-2 large bunches radishes and their greens
- 2 I’Itois onions root end removed
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of half lemon optional
- Trim the greens from the radishes. Rinse the radishes. Place the greens in a bowl of cool water and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes. Remove the greens from the water and set in a colander to dry or use a salad spinner to dry them. Cut radishes in half lengthwise, leaving smaller ones whole. Slice the I’itois onions crosswise, including the green tops (reserve the tops for garnishing).
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat the oil and the butter until the butter is melted. Add the radishes and sauté for about 5 minutes. They should take on bit of color, but do not scorch them, adjust the heat as needed. Add the onions to the pan, stirring to coat. Continue cooking until the radishes are just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the radish greens and sauté until they are just wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Finish with the I’itois onion greens and the lemon juice.