AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CACTUS SALAD (ENSALADA DE NOPALES)
- Pot With Lid
- Salad Bowl
- 4 medium cactus leaves cleaned of spines
- 3 fresh medium tomatoes diced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled Queso Anejo or queso cotija or Feta
- Clean the cactus leaves of spines and wash them very well.
- Slice the nopales thin and put them in a pot with water to cover them. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook the leaves on medium high heat until tender, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the green onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Set them aside.
- When nopales are cooked, remove them from the stove, drain the water and place the vegetables in cold icy water. When cool, use them for the salad.
- In a salad bowl, place the cactus leaves, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and dried Mexican oregano.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime over the salad. Add oil. Taste for salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Sprinkle crumbled cheese over and serve.
- It goes very well with grilled meat, cooked beans, in eggs, tacos etc.