Grandma’s Apple Pie
- parchment paper
- Baking Sheet
- Cheese Grater
- Pie Plate
- Rolling Pin
- 1 1/2 pounds short crust pastry recipe follows
- 7 cups Royal Gala apples cored and quartered (about 5 apples)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- Short Crust Pastry:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter cold
- 8 ounces shortening cold
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll 1/2 the short crust pastry to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out a 14-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry, trim away the excess and crimp the edge.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut the pastry into 1/2-inch strips. On a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper weave the strips of pastry into a lattice that will cover the top of a 9-inch pie plate with 1-inch of overhang. Refrigerate the pie shell and lattice for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the apple quarters into 1/4-inch thick slices. Toss the apples with the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Brush the inside edge of the pastry with the egg wash. Arrange the apples in the pie shell and dab the top with pieces of cold butter. Slide the lattice top over the apples. Press the pastry of the lattice firmly on the crimped edge to seal the 2 together. Brush the lattice with egg wash. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Short Crust Pastry:
- Yield: 2 pounds
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the butter and shortening into the flour. Combine the mixture with your fingers until it resembles cornmeal. Add the ice cold water and mix with a spoon, pulling the water into the flour until a dough forms.
- With your hands, shape the dough into 2 balls and flatten them into disks. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.