Swiss Chard, Fennel, And White Bean Gratin
- Dutch Oven
- Stirring Spoon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large bulb fennel cored, and sliced thin (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion sliced thin (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 bunches swiss chard about 1 pound, leaves removed,
- tender stems sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces finely grated parmesan or romano cheese
- about 1 cup
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 2
- tablespoons butter in a large saucepot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add fennel and onion, season with salt and pepper, and
- cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and
- translucent, about 10 minutes, reducing heat if it starts to brown. Add
- garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 1/3 or swiss chard and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Repeat with remaining swiss chard in two more batches. Add nutmeg
- and flour and stir to combine. Add half and half, stir to combine, and
- cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add beans and reduce to a
- bare simmer. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Toss breadcrumbs,
- butter, and cheese in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Season filling with salt and pepper, transfer to a large casserole dish,
- top with breadcrumbs, and bake until golden brown on top and
- bubbling around the edges, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, let
- rest about 10 minutes, and serve.