Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Cutting Board
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 chopped jalapeno or chipotle chile remove seeds if you like it mild
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 15 ¼ ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup fresh frozen, or canned corn
- 1 cup cooked or canned pinto beans
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers, remove seeds and white membrane, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook the onion until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, corn, and beans.
- Cook until the liquid disappears and the stuffing holds together.
- Spoon into the prepared peppers and set into a baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the peppers are tender.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving) Nutrient analysis per serving: calories, 237; carbohydrate, 47 g; protein, 9 g; total fat, 3 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 0 mg; fiber, 9 g; total sugars, 12 g; sodium, 352 mg; calcium, 110 mg; folate, 176 mcg; iron, 3 mg; percent of calories from fat, 11%. Makes 4 servings, one pepper each.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!