Lentil Minestrone With Greens
- Large heavy soup pot
- Stirring Spoon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- Salt preferably kosher salt, to taste
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 pound lentils brown or beluga, washed and picked over
- 2 ½ quarts water
- A bouquet garni made with a bay leaf 2 sprigs each thyme and parsley, and a Parmesan rind
- ½ pound Swiss chard mustard greens or kale, stemmed, washed in two changes of water, and roughly chopped (about 6 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup elbow macaroni or other soup pasta optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat, and add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add half the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir together for a minute, just until the garlic is fragrant, and add the tomatoes and their liquid. Turn up the heat slightly and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and smell fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, water and bouquet garni, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add the remaining garlic, salt to taste and add the greens. Continue to simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes. Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the pasta, and continue to simmer until the pasta is tender, five to 10 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and serve, passing grated Parmesan at the table.
- Tip – Advance preparation: The soup can be made up to a day or two ahead of time, but do not add the pasta until you are ready to serve. Reheat and add as directed.
Serving: 8Calories: 208kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 15gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 79mgPotassium: 655mgFiber: 18gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1756IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 58mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!